Wednesday, May 20

DO I WANT TO GO TO UNIVERSITY?


School can be different in many countries but there is one thing that it's common to most countries: university. These days people assume everyone wants to go to university and most of us feel pressured to follow that way without questioning that decision.

Most of my life (since I started school in the first year) I always thought I was going to University for sure! I had no idea what I wanted to be but I knew I was going. As I started to grow I met a lot of people that already knew what they wanted to do with their lives and I kind of wished I did too! The only thing I knew was that I didn't want to be a doctor because I just can't deal with blood and those things.

When I was around the seventh grade in school (in Portugal we have twelve years of school and at certain times you have to make some choices about what you want to study but you can only go to Uni after completing those twelve years), I "decided" I wanted to be an architect and I told everyone about my decision until I changed my mind in ninth grade and I thought I wanted to be a psychologist but I wasn't really sure about my decision!

My mind was chaotic by that time. For nine years almost everyone learns the same things (unless you're know you'll be a ballerina or something like that and you go to a specialized school) and at the end of ninth grade everyone was to pick an area such as Science & Technologies, Humanities, Arts or Economy. For me this was really hard, I had no idea what I wanted and I didn't know if I was capable of getting good grades in Science & Technologies because everyone was always telling me that it was really hard. But I chose it anyway. And it was really hard. At some point I wished I hadn't chose it but I was there so I was going to fight for my grades.

Now there's less than a month for me to complete those long twelve years of school and I don't know if I am happy or scared to be honest! I only made my final decision about Uni a few weeks ago because I went through a period that I didn't even know if Uni was the right step. I finally realised that going to Uni was not wasting my time or money. I'd learn new things and hopefully work in the area on day.

As I live in Porto (or Oporto depending where you live) going to the University of Porto is my first choice as it's really near home and it was considered the best University in Portugal last year which is amazing! I have now made my choice and hopefully next year I'll in the Faculty of Nutrition and Food Science (FCNAUP). For years I never considered this option but as I started to grow and I realised who I am and what kind of life I want for myself I think this is the perfect choice for me. 

I know going to Uni is not for everyone. Some people don't want to and that is totally fine as well as feeling confused about what you want to do in the future and some others can't afford it which is something that actually worries me as I don't know if I'll be able to pay the four years I am supposed to study in Uni. Tell me your story! Are you in Uni? Do you want to go or have you been there already? Would you have done anything difference during school now looking back?

No comments:

Post a Comment